Make your own free website on

    As Told to BOB RYDER @ 1

"Dr Death" Steve Williams appeared in U.S. District Court in Shreveport on Wednesday related to charges that he failed to pay child support, and was released on a $25,000 bond.

The charges relate to a paternity battle that has still not been resolved.

Patricia Frye initiated legal action against Williams seeking support payments for a child she claimed he fathered in March of 1991, and later obtained a default judgement against Williams.

Williams says he is not the father of the child, and has filed papers with U.S. District Courts in Louisiana and Oklahoma seeking to reverse the default judgment order.

Williams has also requested in court that a DNA test be performed to determine paternity.

In exclusive comments to, Williams said, "I believe in innocent until proven guilty. Until you can prove I'm guilty, I'm innocent."

"There has never been a DNA test. They said they tried to serve me papers. I was living in Japan and was never served papers. They got a default judgment and that's what I've been fighting."

Williams does not deny knowing the girl. "She was a groupie. She was with a lot of guys in those days. Buzz Sawyer, who is no longer with us, and several others who aren't even in the business any more."

"All we want is proof. My lawyer laid it on the line and said we aren't paying until there is a DNA test. We want the facts instead of someone saying 'you're the dad'."

Williams has a hearing in Oklahoma on October 5 that will determine whether the case is reopened. Williams' attorney has filed a petition to vacate the default judgment, and will allege that Williams was not served with the original summons that led to the default judgment.

Williams is also angered that U.S. Attorney Paul Seave, who is the U.S. Attorney for the Eastern District of California, issued a press release on September 9 regarding the case. The press release announced that Williams had been indicted for "willfully failing to pay child support for his minor child in California".

The press release did not mention that Williams had previously filed a petition to vacate the default judgment, or that Williams had requested genetic testing to determine paternity.

The release also did not state that the State of California had sought to collect welfare payments made by the State of California to Ms Frye by executing on property of Williams in Louisiana, and that a Stay Order was issued to block that action by a Louisiana Court.

Williams is asking his fans and the public to reserve judgment on this matter until it is resolved in court

An update on Steve Williams' status with the WWF ..

Steve Williams remains under contract with the WWF, but is frustrated that he has not been used. He says he has been released by doctors and is ready to return to work.

"They sent me home after Wrestlemania. I don't know what happened. I made Vince McMahon mad at me for some reason that has not been explained to me and that I don't understand."

The only thing he was told by the WWF at the time was to lose some weight and get in shape. "They said I was a little bit too plump and needed to lose some weight. I went from 295 to 256 and I feel great. I'm in the best shape of my life. I'm ready to come back but for some reason they aren't using me."

Williams says he is medically cleared to compete. "Jim Ross asked me to get an MRI done, and I went to see Dr. Clancy in Birmingham. He gave me clearance to return. He said I had two tears, but that I was clear to return. A tear is the toughest thing to heal. I've stretched, I've done thereapy, but it's still like a snake coil on the back of my leg. The doctors told me if I wanted to get back in the ring, I could do it."

Despite being medically cleared to wrestle, Williams was still not welcomed back to the WWF. "I called Jim Ross, my good friend, the next day and told him I had a green light to come back. He told me to have my lawyer call him. I asked him why, and he said Vince didn't have a place for me. I told Jim to pay off my contract and release me. I told him that after 18 years of drawing people all over the world that I couldn't believe this man couldn't think of something to do with Dr. Death."

Jim Ross convinced Williams to stick it out. "Jim said hold it, there's still time in the hour glass. I told him I can't live by the hour glass. I have an 18 year old that I'm putting through college, and a 7 year old I have to take care of."

"Jim told me to go train and to make a video of myself. I felt like they wanted me to try out again. I went over to Dallas and trained and made a video. As soon as I got back in the ring I felt great. I was doing leapfrogs and dropkicks. I felt like I was 18 years old and trying to get a job, but I didn't want to do anything that would breach the contract. I was still under contract with the WWF and was still getting paid, so I did what they asked me to do."
Williams got a call from Jim Ross early this week that left him with mixed emotions. "I talked to Jim Ross earlier this week and he said he had a booking for me. He told me he wanted me to work with Bossman in Oklahoma City. I said that was great. He said he had another booking for me, and that he wanted me to go to Japan from October 14 through November 6."

Williams was upset by the request that he return to Japan. "I asked him who the Japan tour was for, and he said FMW. I told him I wasn't going to go to Japan. I didn't sign with the WWF to go back to Japan. I left a lifetime job in Japan to come to the WWF. I was the Stonecold in Japan. Jim Ross convinced me to leave Japan to come work for the WWF. He told me it would give me more time with my family. He said I would only be working 14-15 days a month and that he would make sure I got pushed and was working with the top guys. He said I would be home to watch my son grow up."

"They want me to go to Japan to work for FMW when they know I worked for All Japan my whole life. They (the WWF) wanted to pay me off six months ago, now they want to see if I will breach my contract by not going to Japan. After I told Jim Ross I wouldn't go to FMW, I got a fax from the WWF saying that if I refused I would be in breach of contract."

Williams says things are done differently in Japan. "I have a lot of respect for the Japanese people. With one handshake over there, I know I have the best deal in the world. In the United States, you have to put everything in legal terms to make sure you don't get screwed. Jim Ross is a great friend, and he's trying to convince me that this is the right thing to do, but he also said he would take care of me in the WWF and would make sure I got a push. He said after 3 years in the WWF that I would be able to retire and be set for life."

Since being injured during the Brawl for All competition, Williams has worked his way back into ring shape, but says he didn't get much support from the office along the way. "I got hurt at Brawl for All, and went home and didn't get a phone call from anybody to check to see if I was all right. Five months later they called and said to take as much time as I needed to come back. The next month I got a call that told me to be ready for camp in three weeks."

Williams said staying home did have some benefits, but he's ready to take advantage of the wrestling boom. "After all the years of working in Japan, staying home with the family has been great...but I'm ready to get back in the ring. I'm 39 years old and I'm ready to catch the wave. My name should be right up there with everybody else right now. Guys are getting movie deals. I'm 39 years old and it's my turn."